Do your marketing efforts include marketing to seniors and retirees? Marketing to seniors typically isn’t a priority for most dentists. However, since advancing age doesn’t mean seniors cannot keep their teeth for a lifetime, why not take advantage of the opportunity to reach out to this generation? Help them to see they’re not destined to lose their teeth. Not only are there many preventive services available to them there are also many cosmetic dental treatment options to help them smile with confidence.
A few ways to reach out to Senior Citizens and Retirees:
- Senior/(Retirees) Appreciation Day (In-office)
- Senior Health & Wellness Expo
- Direct Mail Marketing to Senior Living Communities
- On-site Dental Health Education Presentations for Seniors & Caregivers
- Website & Social Media Sites
Today, I’m going to focus on ideas for you to use at a community senior health & wellness fair/expo. However, many of the ideas for talking points, presentation and giveaways may be used in the other forms of marketing mentioned above.
Quick Tip: In-House Savings / Membership Plans – Loss of dental insurance may have prevented some people from seeking dental care. Do you offer an in-house savings plan? If yes, be sure to include that in your marketing materials and posts on your office social media pages and website.
Back to health fairs… they can be challenging for a couple of different reasons.
One, there are a lot of vendors and booths/displays so you’re going to want to make sure that your display table stands out. That it draws the attention of the guests.
Two, most people are there for something free. But, I guess that doesn’t really count as a challenge. It’s an opportunity for you to make sure they won’t leave your display empty-handed. You’ll have many freebies to give away that include your office information.
Many wonder what they should talk about and what sort of items should they give away?
How about these ideas…
Service Talking Points ~
- Denture/Partial Maintenance & Repair
- Bad Breath
- Gum Disease
- Teeth Whitening
- Oral Cancer (On-site screenings)
- Oral Systemic Health Link
- Smile Makeover
Presentation / Demonstration ~
- PowerPoint/Video presentation on a laptop/tablet/LARGE monitor with before and after photos and/or information about your services.
- How To Demonstrations: Proper Brushing & Flossing Techniques
- Table Cloth
- Banner (Office Name and Website address)
- Business Cards
- Use nice baskets, containers, and frames to display your items.
Keep your table neat but attractive – too much information and “stuff” will be overwhelming in that setting.
Include a Big Call to Action with a deadline: You could hand out a sheet of paper that has a special offer on it: Complimentary Oral Cancer Screening, New Patient Special or Teeth Whitening Offer. On that sheet include some of the other services you offer. Also, include your social media sites and of course all your office contact info.
Make certain that you’ll have the ability to schedule complimentary consultations and New Patient Hygiene visits right there on the spot. (Access to your schedule…at the very least a copy of the schedule for the next 2 weeks.)
Very Important: Your display table must include friendly, smiling, approachable and outgoing team members (also wearing, professional & clean attire).
Other things you can do to attract people to your table…
- Prize Wheel
- Gift Basket Drawing/Raffle
Lots of FREE stuff! Which brings us to…
- Bottled Water / Reusable Waterbottles
- Healthy Snacks
- Xylitol Products- Gum/Mints
- Sample dental health products with a sticker or tag attached showing that a “refill” may be purchased at your office.
- Imprinted Toothbrushes
- Floss / Imprinted Floss Cards
- Imprinted Pens
- My favorite idea for a quick & inexpensive freebie is Lip Balm- (my go-to; http://www.lipbalmexpress)
- Reusable Bags with your Office Information on them is a handy giveaway, one that allows them to carry their free gifts in and advertise your office for you.
If you’re not looking to spend a lot of money on bags, please consider using small imprinted plastic bags so no one is fumbling with their gifts.
Raffle / Drawing ~
- Electric Toothbrush
- Whitening Pen
- Gift Cards
- Gift Baskets ( Themes: Dental Health, Gardening, Seasonal items, Spa, Etc. – don’t hesitate to team up with local businesses for basket items)
- Free Teeth Whitening and or $ off Dental Treatment ( NOTE: they can either check the box for which one or all that they are hoping to win. Use a full sheet of paper with prize options and large space for them to fill out their name, email, address & phone (to be used later to send nice to meet you cards).
Should you decide to use a Prize Wheel instead of Raffle/Drawing be sure to find another way to capture their information so you can follow-up with a “pleasure to meet you” thank you card after the event.
Another Quick Tip: Include the Caregivers – be sure to have information on hand and give-aways for the care-givers. Especially because it’s often the care-givers that are the decision-makers.
Encourage attendees to “like” your office Facebook page and “follow” your office on Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest. Perhaps you can offer some type of incentive/reward for visiting your social media sites.
Take a few minutes before and after the event to briefly introduce yourself to the other vendors and businesses at the expo. Give them a gift some of your office freebies. This is a great opportunity to build relationships within your community.
So many ways for you to have a fun and successful senior health and wellness fair. Do you have any other ideas that have worked well for you? Please, share them with me.
Are you receiving my free dental marketing and practice management ideas every month to your email? If not, PLEASE take a second and follow today or send me your email address to firstname.lastname@example.org and I will send you an invitation to follow. This way, you won’t miss a single idea. Feel free to share my website with your dental friends.
Yours for Greater Success,
~Betty – Dental Coach